Smoke detectors are essential in every building as a means to protect those who live or work there and to prevent damage caused by fires. However, if they are not installed by professionals,or are neglected and not replaced after a certain period of time, they cannot function optimally. We have put together some important facts that everyone should know about smoke detectors Queensland, so they don’t fall victim to malfunction or neglect.
FACTS ABOUT SMOKE DETECTORS
- If your property was built before 1997, you need to maintain or reinstall smoke alarms per Australian Standards, Residential Tenancies Authority and the Fire and Rescue Services Act.
- If your property was built after 1997 or has undergone major renovations since 1997, it should have 240v (hard-wired with battery back-up) smoke alarms installed as a requirement under the Building Code of Australia and in accordance with Australian Standards Residential Tenancies Authority and the Fire and Rescue Services Act.
- According to the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFRS), many people die in residential fires every year. Most of these deaths are due to the effects of smoke inhalation.
- Considered early detection devices, smoke alarms save both lives and property, but only if they are working. They should be tested, maintained and cleaned regularly.
- The risk of fire death is three times more likely in homes that do not have functioning alarms versus houses with maintained, working devices.
- Today’s houses have a safe escape time of only 3 minutes in the event of a fire, according to information from the QFRS. However, well-maintained alarms provide valuable seconds for the protection of property and life.
- In rental properties, it is the lessor’s responsibility to test and maintain smoke alarms at least every 12 months, as well as to replace smoke alarms when required and change the batteries at the renewal of existing tenancy agreements or before the start of a new lease agreement.
YOUR SAFETY IS OUR PRIORITY
At Pacific Smoke Alarms, we don’t just install smoke alarms. We ensure the safety of your family, your business and your assets. We are a family-owned and operated business with a nationally recognised qualification specific to the industry that sets us apart from other providers. With us, you can feel reassured with professional, dependable advice and services when it comes to smoke detectors in Queensland. Contact us at 1300 355 483 or fill in our online form.